If you are managing multiple turnovers a day, or even just one, it can be difficult to remember to do the little things like turn off all appliances or dust HVAC vents. While sometimes a quick turnover time between guests won’t let you check off every item on this list, a checklist is helpful for routine Quality Assurance (“QA”) for your units. Why reinvent the wheel each time you go to do an inspection? Hopefully this list is a helpful foundation for you to start from.
Also, if you aren’t part of any Facebook groups for Airbnb hosts, you should be – they’re a great place to get support and insider tips as well. Recently, we saw an inquiry about what tasks are on people’s cleaning checklists, so we tried to include as much as possible here in this master checklist!
All Unit Check-list
- Including: ceiling fans, lamp shades, blinds, furniture, woodwork, shelves, and baseboards
- Wipe the HVAC vents / intake
- Change HVAC filters every 3-4 months
- Clean AC window units (if window unit)
Remove cobwebs from corners of room
- Vacuum the carpets
- Mop all floors
- Vacuum couches, including under cushions
Empty and clean all wastebaskets and recycling containers
- Wipe down dirty windows inside and out
- Wipe window sills
Wipe walls where dirty – (Mr. Clean Magic Eraser)
- Clean and tidy fireplace (sweep ashes, etc.)
- Clean laundry machines and empty lint traps
- Wipe TV screens
- Wipe down light switches and door handles
- Clean counters, cabinets, appliances, tables and chairs
- Scrub and sanitize the sinks
- Wipe and sanitize countertops and backsplashes
- Clean the stove top
- Clean microwave oven
- Mop the floor
- Clean inside the oven
- Clean inside, outside, and on the top of the refrigerator
- Remove anything left behind by guests, wipe any spills, ensure consumables e.g. milk and condiments are restocked
- Clean inside cabinets
- Clean dishes/glasses/cookware and empty dishwasher
- Launder dirty dish towels
- Trash cans should be empty and clean, new sponge on counter
- Wine bottle opener is there
- Make sure there are enough plates and utensils in the unit (at least one per guest)
- Check to make sure there are enough pots and pans in the unit and that they are in good repair
- Restock essentials (tea, coffee, paper towel, bin liners, cling wrap, dish soap, sponges, facial tissues, toilet paper, hand soap, shampoo and conditioner, body wash)
- Clean kitchen appliances
- Clean, scrub and sanitize – showers, shower doors/curtains bathtubs, vanities, backsplashes, toilets, mirrors and sinks
- Clean and scrub any shelves in shower including shower caddies
- Mop floors and scrub tile walls
- Strip or launder dirty towels
- Hairdryer in each bathroom
- Extra toilet paper under sink
- Check drain holes for clogs/mold
- Beds made with clean linens
- Strip dirty linens
- Bed sheets and towels inspection – clean?
- Wash mattress protectors (periodic)
- Check for hangers in closet
- Clean bedside lamps and tables
- Check dresser drawers for items left behind
- Sweep and tidy outdoor areas including entryway, driveway, pool area, hot tub covers, etc.
- Clean pool including bottom of pool
- Clean hot tubs
- Clean and scrub BBQ and BBQ tools and make sure propane knob is “off”
- Turn off Pool Heater
- Close Pool cover
- Bring in trash bins from street if empty
- Unplug string lights
- Close the Umbrella in the backyard
- Animal waste removal
Final Prep Work:
- Damage check? Photograph all damage from close and far – get product names and model numbers if applicable
- Make sure all of the apartment central heaters and AC units are “off” and all lights are off when leaving unit
- Make sure that all lamps, TVs, etc are plugged into the walls when the cleaners finish their work – (they often get unplugged during cleans)
- Check all drawers and closets for items the guest left behind, take picture
- If the unit has a key, make sure that the lock box has a key inside of it
- Make sure that the house rules are printed out and visible (not put away by guests)
- Make sure there are enough keys in the unit
- Does the garage or gate clicker work / have batteries?
- Are the parking passes there?
- Iron and Ironing Board are there?
- Set out extras for your guests (chocolates, wine, etc.)
Periodic walkthrough / bonus checklist:
- Surface floors and wall overall cleanliness (is it time to repaint?)
- Move the furniture and look behind it
- Any bad stains on couches and rugs not coming out?
- Light bulbs and switches all work
- Appliances working – run them all
- Smoke detectors in and functioning
- Blinds and curtains working property
- Faucets and doors opening and closing easily
- Working / Run speed check
- Logged in / connected to wifi?
- Logged into the right Netflix and Hulu Accounts?
- Remotes have batteries / work?
- Are security cameras connected / logged in?
This is a great way to make sure quality assurance checks are done thoroughly. If we forgot anything, feel free to let us know another task that should be on this list and we will add it! Happy cleaning!